President Hussein is going to release the Cole mastermind after he puts on a disgusting show of bogus Americanism by inviting the 9/11 families to the White House. How cynical. I hope they refuse. They cannot help but see he is the principal architect of America's next 9/11.
President Obama Likely to Order Military Commission Charges Dropped Against
Terrorist Suspect Al-Nashiri ABC Jake Tapper
ABC News has learned that on Friday, President Obama will likely order the Department of
Defense's Military Commission to withdraw charges against terrorist
suspect Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri. The charges may later be reinstated in a
military commission or pursued in a civilian court. Al-Nashiri will remain in
The announcement will not be made until after President Obama meets with the
families of victims of terrorist attacks on 9/11 and on the U.S.S. Cole, where
he will assure them that this step is not being done to be lenient towards
al-Nashiri. The move is being done to stop the continued prosecution of
al-Nashiri in a court system that his administration may ultimately find
illegitimate, not for any other reason, sources told ABC News.
President Obama has expressed concern about whether the military commissions
set up by the Bush administration are the proper way to go forward in pursuing
charges against the U.S. detainees, and on January 22 he asked all the judges
supervising the trials of detainees for a continuance of 120 days, so a team of
administration officials could review the best way forward.
In almost the cases, that continuance request was granted. But
last week the judge supervising the al-Nashiri trial — Army Col.
James L. Pohl, the chief judge at the Guantanamo Bay war crimes court — said he
would not heed President Obama's request for a 120-day continuance, or delay, in
prosecutions of terrorism suspects. Pohl called the president's request "not
reasonable" and not "in the interests of justice."
The arraignment of al-Nashiri is scheduled for Monday, February 9.
Al-Nashiri has been identified as the former Persian Gulf Operations Chief
for al Qaeda and the mastermind of the attack on the U.S.S. Cole. In March 2007
he testified in military court that he only confessed to certain crimes because
he has been tortured for the previous five years.
Asked for reaction to the news, Commander Kirk Lippold (Ret.), former
Commander aboard the U.S.S. Cole when it was bombed on October 12, 2000, told
ABC News that "I am concerned about the President considering dropping the
charges because it may be indicative that the president does not intend to
follow the military commissions process which has undergone extensive legal and
"For some reason the administration says what's been expressed through the
legislature is not sufficient," Lippold said of the military commissions. "They
need to allow the process to go forward."
The 26-year Navy veteran said he found the decision to close the detention
facility at Guantanamo Bay "disappointing," but he seemed willing to hear the
"I'm interested in hearing what his long-term plan is on how he's going to
deal with the detainees because he hasn't articulated that," he said. "He may
have a clear-cut path that may massage some of the concerns that I know many of
the families have right now."
In a way, the President tied his administration's own hands, requiring his
Secretary of Defense to drop the charges. The
executive order President Obama signed on closing the Guantanamo Detention
Facilities states that "all proceedings" in the US Military
Commissions must be "halted": (more)
UPDATE: R-E-A-D I-T A-L-L
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.