News Ticker >
[ January 21, 2020 ]

Jordanian parliament votes down gas deal with Israel

[ January 20, 2020 ]

British PM Boris Approves Plans to Pursue Rapid Trade Deal with U.S.

[ January 20, 2020 ]

Self-hating Jew Sanders adds another anti-Semite to his staff

[ January 20, 2020 ]

France: 150 occupied territories are held by Islamists, according to a Secret Defense document

[ January 20, 2020 ]

Poll: Trump Approval Among Farmers Hits Record High at 83%

[ January 20, 2020 ]

The Times Backs Two Women for President

[ January 20, 2020 ]

Leader of Italy’s leading Political Party Matteo Salvini: Muslim Migration Is ‘Main Cause’ of Antisemitism

[ January 20, 2020 ]

UPDATED: “Peaceful, Calm, and Friendly” Second Amendment Rally: Reality Versus Enemedia

[ January 20, 2020 ]

Muslim Terrorist Charged With the Overseas Murder of an American and Providing Material Support to...

[ January 20, 2020 ]

State Dept. SUED for Records Tied to Monitoring of Trump Family and These Journalists

Three Muslim women forced to remove hijabs for mug shots snag $180,000 payout from city

62

This is a simple matter of identification. One of the first things Bill de Blasio did when he became Mayor was dismantle a surveillance program in Muslim communities that was perfectly legal, but came under fire from the likes of Linda Sarsour. Sarsour and her ilk now have full influence over the way New York City conducts counterterror operations. This insane decision is in line with that perspective, and represents still more submission to sharia.

“Three Muslim women forced to remove hijabs for mug shots snag $180G payout from city,” by Andrew Keshner, New York Daily News, February 27, 2018:

New York City will pay a total of $180,000 to three Muslim women who were forced to take off their hijabs for mug shots, the Daily News has learned.

Settlements in the three cases were filed Monday in Brooklyn federal court, with the lawsuits spurring new NYPD procedures on photographing people donning religious head coverings.

The cases date back as far as 2012, when a Brooklyn high school girl identified as “G.E.” was arrested after a scuffle with two girls she thought were spreading rumors about her.

The criminal case was dismissed, but it was the initial mug shots that mattered in the civil rights case that followed.

G.E. was taken to the 62nd Precinct, which covers such neighborhoods as Bensonhurst, Mapleton and Bath Beach, where police told her she’d have to take off her hijab.

The teen refused, and was taken to a private room where a female officer shot the photo outside the presence of any men.

But at Brooklyn central booking, police told her there weren’t any female officers to do the picture and the camera was in a fixed spot, so it couldn’t be privately taken elsewhere.

G.E. said a male officer took her picture without her hijab.

Her suit said she felt “exposed, violated and distraught” being forced to take off her headscarf for some 20 minutes as male police and prisoners watched.

Court rulings show in March 2015, police issued an order that changed the rules when people refused to take off religious head coverings. Arresting officers had to tell the person they had the choice of getting a private photo — without the head covering, and with an officer of the same gender.

Last year, judges let parts of the three cases go ahead. All three women settled for $60,000 apiece, according to the Law Department.

In 2015 and 2016, G.E.’s lawyer, Tahanie Aboushi, filed two similar cases — both for incidents that happened after the new police rules on head coverings.

One woman said she had to remove her veil at Brooklyn Central Booking. Another said her hijab was removed at the scene of her arrest, where she was knocked unconscious in an altercation with a neighbor over a parking spot.

At Brooklyn Central Booking, police denied the woman’s request for a female photographer.

Last year, judges let parts of the three cases go ahead. All three settled for $60,000 apiece, according to the Law Department.

On Tuesday, Aboushi told the Daily News the police department sent out additional directives in December 2017 on religious headwear. She credited the city and police, saying the end result was a “collaborative” effort and a “great first step.”…

The Truth Must be Told

Your contribution supports independent journalism

Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.

Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.

Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.

Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.


Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.

Contribute Monthly - Choose One

Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email tips@thegellerreport.com

Pin It on Pinterest