It has been three years since the beginning of the Islamic insurgency in the northern province of Cabo Delgado in Mozambique. The conflict is said to have claimed more than 2,000 lives; more than 300,000 internal refugees have been recorded and a significant number of properties have been destroyed by jihadis. And it’s spreading — Tanzania just confirmed it’s first Islamic attack.
Subscribe to Geller Report newsletter here — it’s free and it’s critical NOW when informed decision making and opinion is essential to America's survival. Share our posts on your social channels and with your email contacts. Fight the great fight.
Remember, YOU make the work possible. If you can, please contribute to Geller Report.
Islamist militants carried out a deadly attack on a village last week near the Tanzanian port of Mtwara, a major oil and gas logistics base in the south of the country, after crossing the border from gas-rich Cabo Delgado in neighbouring Mozambique. The news was confirmed by Tanzanian officials and signals a worrying escalation and expansion of an Islamist insurgency that began three years ago in Mozambique and threatens some $50 billion-worth of liquefied natural gas investments at Afungi in Cabo Delgado.
Twenty civilians and three Tanzanian security forces reportedly died after Kitaya was attacked by a reported 300 militants.
Local reports said gunmen launched the assault on Kitaya before retreating back across the Rovuma river that forms the border between Tanzania and Mozambique.
Inspector General of Police Simon Sirro told reporters that both Tanzanians and foreigners were arrested “in connection with the terrorist incident”.
He said Tanzania is working with regional neighbours to “flush out the terrorists”.
Jihad. These are Islamic attacks.
You can say it – we don’t live under sharia. https://t.co/FnugvOUcTz
— Geller Report (@PamelaGeller) October 23, 2020
Mozambique: The War in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado – Four Scenarios That Will Potentially Materialise
With the conflict in northern Mozambique showing no signs of stopping, the question is, where is Cabo Delgado province heading? Based on the multiple reasons behind the conflict, and considering the increasing international political and economic interests in Cabo Delgado and how conflicts have been managed in post-independence Mozambique, four scenarios are conceivable.
By: Fredson Guilengue and Andreas Bohne,All Africa, October 22, 2020:
It has been three years since the beginning of the Islamic insurgency in the northern province of Cabo Delgado in Mozambique. So far, the conflict is said to have claimed more than 2,000 lives; more than 300,000 internal refugees have been recorded and a significant number of properties have been destroyed by Ansar al-Sunna (AaS), an allegedly Islamic State affiliate fighting Mozambique’s military forces to establish a local Islamic state.
AaS’s violent activities in the gas-rich province of Cabo Delgado started in October 2017, targeting local police stations and villages. By May 2018 the attacks had reached horrendous proportions. Before turning violent, AaS members had begun to preach a radical form of Islam and to build their own mosques. Later, the group started opposing Western-style institutions, such as the rule of law, sending children to regular schools, individual liberties, the power of state representatives, and mutual tolerance…
Read the rest.
Tanzania confirms 1st attack by Mozambique-based extremists
AP, Oct. 23, 2020:
DODODOMA, Tanzania (AP) — For the first time, Tanzania’s government has acknowledged an attack inside the country by Islamic extremists based in neighboring Mozambique.
The attack claimed by an affiliate of the Islamic State group last week marks an ominous expansion of the shadowy group that has killed more than 1,500 people in northern Mozambique since it emerged in 2017.
Tanzania’s inspector general of police, Simon Sirro, told local media on Thursday that some 300 attackers were involved in the assault on Kitaya, a riverside border village in the Mtwara region. He said some were arrested. He did not say how many people were killed.
The growing extremist violence in northern Mozambique has displaced more than 300,000 people, creating an urgent humanitarian crisis, the U.N. World Food Program said last month.
The extremists have dramatically stepped up attacks this year, capturing the strategic port city of Mocimboa da Praia in August. Mozambique’s northern Cabo Delgado province has massive deposits of liquified natural gas, and the violence threatens to disrupt the billions of dollars of international investment.
The extremists risk giving Mozambique “the type of threat that Boko Haram has become in Nigeria,” U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Tibor Nagy told journalists earlier this year…….
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email email@example.com
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.