Government watchdog raises questions about Chinese influence at Biden Centers.
China certainly doesn’t want a President Trump second term: it will be economically deadly. Some say they intentionally let the Communist coronavirus infect the world with the goal to weaken western countries. Intentionally or not, no one can deny it’s a total success.
When Joe Biden announced he was opening a foreign policy center at the University of Pennsylvania, nobody paid attention.
Now that we know that the Democratic Party got help from Russia and Ukraine to try to get Hillary Clinton in the Oval, spied on their opponent candidate, tried to get Trump removed from office, tried to prevent him from governing, and will do anything to get one of his own elected, it raises concerns.
- At its founding in 2018, Biden described the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement as “a place where policymakers here and abroad will know they can be in touch with some of the best minds.”
- Who paid for it? The Penn Biden Center has not released information on its donors, BUT foreign funding to the University of Pennsylvania has risen more than threefold, spiking to over $100 million last year from $31 million in 2016, according to Department of Education records.
- And guess what: China has been the largest contributor during that time.
- Between March 2017 and the end of 2019, the University of Pennsylvania received a total of $61 million in gifts and contracts from China, according to Department of Education records.
- In the preceding four years, the university received just $19 million from China.
- The donations included a $502,750 “monetary gift” in October 2017 from the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, a Chinese government agency that helps administer the regime’s “Thousand Talents Plan”. Federal prosecutors claim the program is linked to Chinese espionage operations at American universities and have prosecuted academics for hiding their involvement in it.
- Other contributors included China’s Zhejiang University, the China Merchants Bank, and the China Everbright Group, a state-owned investment group, according to federal records.
- Many of the Chinese contributions were listed as coming from “anonymous” donors, a practice experts say is an “easy tactic” that allows the Chinese to penetrate the U.S. education system.
- Penn received a total of 23 anonymous gifts from China between March 2017 and the end of 2019, totaling over $21 million. In the preceding four years, the university had disclosed just five anonymous donations from China, totaling less than $5 million.
- The center is one of several organizations Biden founded since leaving the White House in 2017:
- The domestic policy-focused Biden Institute at the University of Delaware, who declined to reveal its funders.
- The Biden Cancer Initiative closed in 2018 because of ethical issues for a possible Biden administration. It had $2.1 million in total assets before suspending its operations, and it declined to provide a list of donors.
- All three entities have refused to reveal the sources of their funding, that raises questions about the influence of Chinese individual or corporations on the presidential candidate.
The lack of transparency has drawn the attention of a watchdog group that is now demanding that the federal government investigate whether foreign money has flowed to the Biden Center in Philadelphia.
Why? Because many of Biden’s nonprofit entities have served as landing spots for his former—and potentially future—White House aides:
- The Penn Biden Center, for instance, is a national security council-in-waiting for Biden, employing his top White House foreign policy advisers Colin Kahl, Michael Carpenter, and Jeffrey Prescott.
The National Legal and Policy Center, a government watchdog group, filed a complaint with the Department of Education requesting an investigation into Penn’s anonymous funding, according to a copy obtained by the Free Beacon.
“Joe Biden’s affiliation with the Penn Biden Center further raises concerns of foreign influence not unlike those raised when the Clinton Foundation received millions of dollars in donations while Hillary Clinton was running for president,” the complaint said.
The complaint also asked the Department of Education to “refer the matter to the Department of Justice for civil enforcement in federal court, and seek recoupment of all costs to the U.S. government for investigating and enforcing the reporting and disclosure laws of China monetary gifts and contracts.”
Did Biden indirectly received payments from China through Penn?
- Penn’s investment in the Penn Biden Center has been significant: a luxe D.C. office directly across from the U.S. Capitol Building.
- Employment for Biden’s longtime foreign policy aides.
- Highly promoted conferences featuring Biden conversing with foreign leaders.
- End a total of $900,000 in payments to the former vice president, according to his tax records.
The usual suspects
The Biden Center is part of the University of Pennsylvania’s “Penn Global” department, headed by Biden’s campaign health care adviser and brother of Rahm Emmanuel, Ezekiel Emanuel, which handles the university’s foreign research and outreach programs. The other brother’s company, Hollywood talent company Endeavor, is in precarious position due to US$7.2bn debts, and it would certainly welcome Biden’s help as President.
China, China and China
Let’s see what we have so far.
- Ezekiel Emanuel is Biden’s campaign adviser.
- Ezekiel Emanuel heads the University of Pennsylvania’s “Penn Global” department.
- Ezekiel Emanuel handles the university’s foreign research and outreach programs.
1+1 = 2, here is the result:
- Those programs have become increasingly focused on China in recent years. According to the Penn Global website, the university has “over 20 international partnerships with Chinese institutions” and has conducted “over 350 research projects and instructional activities in China.”
- In 2015, the university launched the China Research and Engagement Fund, a $10 million research-matching funding program.
- The program has funded Penn medical research in China, studies to improve the country’s pork production, and engineering projects to help China reach its national aviation goals, according to its website.
- That same year, the University of Pennsylvania opened the Penn Wharton China Center, an academic outpost to support the “growing numbers of programs and collaborations between Penn’s 12 schools and many academic, government, and business partners throughout China.”
- The university also hosts the annual Penn China Research Symposium. This year’s event in late January featured Chinese consul general Huang Ping, who said in his speech that he had “lost count how many times I have visited UPenn, probably more than any university in New York City.”
And Huang Ping also warned the United States against distancing itself from China.
“Considering China’s advantages in cost, market and supply chain, and its growing edge in innovation, to decouple from China is to decouple from opportunities,” he said in his speech.
Now you know why Biden said:
“China is going to eat our lunch? Come on, man. I mean, you know, they’re not bad folks, folks. But guess what? They’re not competition for us,”
Source for this article: https://freebeacon.com/2020-election/watchdog-raises-questions-about-china-influence-as-penn-biden-center-wont-disclose-donors/
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.