DeSantis is following the science and making every Democrat Blue state totalitarian the fool.
— Alex Berenson (@AlexBerenson) May 22, 2020
Ron DeSantis: Florida ‘lifting all restrictions on youth activities’
This includes summer camps.
School may be out, but summer camp is back in.
Tampa Bay May 22, 2020:
Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Friday that he was ending all restrictions on youth activities across the state, including camps and youth sports. The declaration was the governor’s latest move to wake Florida from its coronavirus-induced economic slumber.
However, the Republican governor said he would not prevent municipalities from imposing more restrictive rules.
“We believe that this makes sense based on the data and observed experience. We are not going to be instituting a lot of rules, or really any rules,” DeSantis said Friday, noting the Florida Department of Health would likely post a list of best practices to its website. “At the end of the day, we trust parents to be able to make decisions in conjunction with physicians.”
DeSantis’ announcement, which came at a news conference in Jacksonville, dovetailed with the plans of some Tampa Bay area officials, and conflicted with others.
Last week, Hillsborough County’s Department of Parks and Recreation cancelled its series of summer camps.
Hillsborough Commission Chairman Les Miller Jr. said the county was awaiting the official executive order from the governor’s office before deciding its next step. As of late Friday, DeSantis’ office had yet to post the executive order. Miller said county officials would follow the order. Pinellas officials said Friday they have a similar plan.
Miller, however, noted it could be difficult for Hillsborough to open its camps with additional potential restrictions such as social distancing, limited group sizes or masks.
“We’d have to put a lot of things in place before we open up the gates and say, “Come on in,’” said Miller.
On Thursday, Tampa Mayor Jane Castor announced the city was opening its summer camps starting June 1.
“We’re continuing ahead with our summer school because people can’t get back to work if they don’t have some type of care for their children,” Mayor Jane Castor said on a Cafe Con Tampa Facebook live stream Friday. “And so we realized that and we’re going to open up our summer camps.”
Ashley Bauman, Castor’s spokeswoman, said DeSantis’ announcement had little to do with the city’s plans to reopen summer camps because the city considers camps to be child care. That type of care was never banned under the governor’s previous restrictions, Bauman said.
Later Friday, Castor said in a statement she would “wholeheartedly support” the governor’s decision to reopen youth sports, provided it was done safely.
St. Petersburg announced last week that its summer camps will proceed at a limited capacity.
A spokeswoman for YMCA of the Suncoast and the Tampa Metropolitan Area YMCA said the organizations would wait until the full executive order had been released to comment.
Related: Tampa Bay summer camps: Some are canceled, others set to open with changes
DeSantis contended that youth activities — schools, most notably — were closed in the first place because, in the early days of the pandemic, it was believed children would spread the disease to other, more vulnerable populations.
But children haven’t turned out to be very effective spreaders of the illness, the governor argued Friday.
Related: Florida coronavirus cases near 50,000, as state adds 46 deaths
“The data is pretty clear that, for whatever reason, kids don’t seem to get infected at the same rates that some other adults get infected,” DeSantis said.
DeSantis also noted that children are much less likely to face serious consequences from the novel coronavirus. In Florida, five in six coronavirus deaths have come from people 65 and over. Zero people under 25 have died from the disease, DeSantis no
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email email@example.com
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.