Bologna archbishop Matteo Maria Zuppi changed a famous, age-old recipe for the feast of the city’s patron, San Petronio — a pork-free version of Bologna’s iconic tortellini pasta in submission to Islamic law.
The curia said “fake news” had been generated on this story and that it’s “a normal rule of welcome and respect towards guests has been interpreted as an offence against tradition.” But they make no such concessions to Jews, Hindus, Bahais, Buddhists etc. But I would hardly expect the conquered and the vanquished to actually own up to their own cowardice, would you?
‘Unacceptable’ row over pork-free tortellini – diocese
Normal welcome for guests says Bologna Church
(ANSA) – Bologna, October 1 – The diocese of Bologna, which has ordered Muslim-friendly pork-free tortellini for Friday’s feast of patron saint Petronius, on Tuesday said the row over the case was “unacceptable”.
The diocese has replaced pork, which Muslims do not eat for religious reasons, with chicken in the famed Bolognese speciality.
The curia said “fake news” had been generated on the case and “a normal rule of welcome and respect towards guests has been interpreted as an offence against tradition”.
Nationalist leaders including League chief Matteo Salvini have slammed the move saying Italy is forgetting its history and identity.
Some Catholic church officials said the case was a gift to Salvini and his anti-migrant rhetoric.
Salvini on Tuesday slammed moves to produce the pork-free tortellini, linking it to Education Minister Lorenzo Fioramonti’s suggestion that crucifixes be removed from classrooms.
“I’m reading that there are those who are asking for tortellini without meat. It’s like proposing wine without grapes,” he said.
“Oriana Fallaci was right. The problem is some Italians forgetting their roots, denying our history, from tortellini to the crucifix.” “Should I be the one defending faith and values? I’m a sinner…”, Salvini said on Facebook.
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.