BUT I am banned from the UK. The UK and sharia hellholes are almost indistinguishable at this point.
Doctor who worked in Saddam Hussein’s torture prisons allowed to stay in UK
By Robert Verkaik and Patrick Sawer, The Telegraph, August 17, 2019, (thanks to The Religion of Peace):
An Iraqi accused of crimes against humanity after treating prisoners tortured by Saddam Hussein’s regime has won his claim for UK asylum after a court effectively ruled he had little choice.
The 54-year-old faced the choice of either treating prisoners who had suffered torture – with the unintended effect of making them physically able to endure another bout of torture – or leaving them to suffer and potentially die from their wounds.
Despite being initially refused asylum because of his role working for the Al-Istikhbarat, Saddam Hussein’s military intelligence agency, an appeal court has ruled there was no evidence he had himself tortured prisoners or contributed to their torture.
The medic, identified only as MAB, left Iraq in December 1995 and travelled to Libya, where he worked as a doctor under the regime of Colonel Gaddafi, before coming to the UK in January 2000. He waited until 2007 before he making an asylum claim.
But after an investigation by the war crimes unit of the Home Office Border Agency he was denied refugee protection on the grounds that while working as a doctor he had “committed crimes against humanity.”
Although he was not accused of directly carrying out acts of torture, his role meant he had treated prisoners who he knew might face further torture.
According to court documents seen by the Sunday Telegraph, the doctor “never sought to leave the Al-Istikhbarat throughout his military service, such as by asking to be transferred to military service elsewhere.”
In 2015 he successfully argued before an immigration tribunal that although he admitted being complicit in a crime against humanity he had acted under duress.
Theresa May, the Home Secretary at the time, challenged that decision and in 2017 an upper tribunal ruled in favour of the Government and overturned MAB’s defence of duress.
The tribunal said: “He assisted those who committed torture by providing medical aid to them. He also provided medical aid to victims in the knowledge that in the ordinary course of events some of them would suffer further torture. We find that he intended to treat the prisoners irrespective of what had happened to them and what might happen to them.”
However, three Court of Appeal judges have now ruled in the medic’s favour, finding that there was not enough evidence to “support a conclusion of significant contribution to torture”.
Overturning a previous ruling by the immigration tribunal, the Court of Appeal said: “If it is sufficient to be complicit in torture that the torture of some patients ‘may’ have ceased if treatment had not been given, then the logical consequence is that no patients should have been treated.
“On the FTT’s [First Tier Tribunal] findings [MAB] did not know whether the torture of any particular patient would cease but simply that it ‘may’ do so. On the FTT’s approach, the only way to avoid complicity in such circumstances would be to refuse all treatment.”
The appeal court concluded: “That would be a perverse conclusion and in clear contravention of a doctor’s duty of care.”
In March 2014 MAB’s fitness to practice certificate, which had been stripped from him, was reinstated by the Medical Practitioner Tribunal (MPT), allowing him to resume work as a doctor in the UK, where he has been supporting his wife and children.
The case illustrates the dilemma faced by doctors serving under Hussein’s dictatorship, referred to those who endured it as ‘The Republic of Fear’, with its secret police apparatus inflicting torture, mass murder, genocide, ethnic cleansing, rape and forced disappearances on its own people before it was eventually overthrown during the coalition invasion of Iraq in 2003.
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.