The killing was the 30th murder in London so far this year – and the 13th in March.
Two knifemen ‘washed their faces and feet’ at London mosque then mingled with worshippers and changed clothes to evade police after stabbing man to death in London’s 30th murder of 2019
- Man in his 20s was stabbed near Regent’s Park, before knife fled in mosque
- Stabbing took place near London Central Mosque but was not terror-related
- Death was the 30th murder in London so far this year – and the 13th in March
- The violence continued today, with a knife attack in Tottenham in rush hour
By Dianne Apen-sadler and Mark Duell for MailOnline and Mary O’connor For The Daily Mail, 29 March 2019
Two knifemen stabbed a man to death then ran into a mosque and ‘washed their hands and faces’ to blend in with worshippers, it emerged today.
The victim, a man in his 20s, was knifed to death yesterday evening, before his killers ran into London Central Mosque near Regent’s Park to get away.
The murder is the 30th killing in the capital this year and comes amid growing fears UK knife crime is out of control.
Witnesses in the mosque have said the assailants pretended to be members of the congregation arriving for
Police have said the incident is not terror-related and the killers are not linked to the mosque.
Police outside a flat block in central London today after a man was stabbed yesterday
Witnesses say the knifemen ran into London Central Mosque near Regent’s Park
The victim, who was named locally as ‘Zahir’, is thought to have lived in a nearby estate.
A security guard at the mosque said the men, who were both white with long hair, washed their faces and feet to appear as if they were arriving for prayers.
He told The Evening Standard: ‘We saw in the camera them changing clothes in the toilet area, one of them had a backpack and one of them had a side bag.
‘They change from hoodies into shirts and trousers and throw the other clothes on the floor. The police have those.’
Police have not arrested any one over the attack, but raided flats in a nearby buildings today as the hunt the killers.
Met Police Commander Simon Rose said this morning: ‘A man has lost his life in violent circumstance and we are working to identify the perpetrators as quickly as possible.
‘We have been in close contact with the London Central Mosque since the incident happened. We thank them for their patience, cooperation and understanding.
‘Friday prayers will today be going ahead with little or no disruption. We do not believe the incident is connected to the mosque.
‘The incident is not believed to be terror-related. People can expect to see local officers out and about today and I would encourage anyone with worries or concerns to speak to them.’
The cordon was finally moved from around the mosque in London at 11.30pm last night
Man in his 30s stabbed in North London amid knife crime epidemic
A man in his 30s was stabbed in North London this morning as the capital’s knife crime epidemic continues.
Police were called to a junction near Seven Sisters Underground station in Tottenham shortly after 6.30am and found the injured man.
Scotland Yard said no arrests have been made over the stabbing, which left the man with non-life threatening injuries.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: ‘Police were called to High Road junction with Talbot Road at 6.35am on Friday following reports of a stabbing.
‘Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and found a male aged in his thirties suffering from stab injuries.
Last night, witnesses claimed two people were seen running into the mosque and officers later cordoned it off, believing the suspects had tried to hide there.
Officers searching the area cordoned off the London Central Mosque for more than five hours, with armed police at the gates as a helicopter circled overhead.
The cordon was finally moved at about 11.30pm, with the roads reopened and armed officers leaving the scene. Police said the attack was not terror-related.
Witness Bahir Moulana said that as he was walking towards the mosque the police were pushing people back before they closed the main gate.
With a number of armed officers at the scene, the 39-year-old said it gave him the ‘jitters’, especially following the recent attack at two mosques in New Zealand.
‘I saw all the blue lights and my heart was in my mouth,’ Mr Moulana said.
With worshippers eventually let out of the building, he added: ‘There was one girl who said she saw two guys run in. Someone else told me the police were chasing them.’
Mr Moulana said he saw two people being detained and put in handcuffs by the police at the mosque. ‘The police just surrounded them. I saw that at around 7pm,’ he added.
At the scene on Cunningham Place, a large collection of used and discarded medical equipment, bloodied bandages, bags, and other items could be seen in the middle of the road.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.