The suspect, Gökmen Tanis, in the Netherlands mass shooting fought jihad wars in Chechnya was arrested for connection to ISIS. and was reportedly the suspect in a 2017 rape case that was heard in court just two weeks ago. Why was he at large?
Turkish President Erdogan has been inciting Muslims to jihad while the keystone cops in the Netherlands have placed mosques in the city under special protection. A rare crackpot shooting in New Zealand and the world convulses. Mosques are placd under special protection during a terrorist attack by a Muslim. But thousands of Islamic terror attacks and never is it allowed to be tied to Islam.
“There is probably at least one perpetrator, but there may also be several perpetrators,” Van Zanen said on camera. “We cannot exclude, in fact we assume, a terrorist motive.” (NL Times)
- Police release photo of Gökmen Tanis, 37, captured on the tram’s CCTV just minutes before the shooting
- Three people have died and nine people are injured after the shooting in Utrecht, central Netherlands
- One or several gunmen, ‘who may have had a terrorist motive’, opened fire on a tram in the city centre
- The assailant or assailants fled the scene and police have since surrounded a building in the city
- Dutch government has raised terrorism threat level to highest possible, and schools are on lockdown
Incident took place just three days after a terror attack on two mosques in New Zealand where 50 were killed (Daily Mail)
A Turkish businessmsn residing in Utrecht told BBC Türkçe that Tanış had "fought in Chechnya" and that a "few years ago [Tanış] was arrested and released for his connection to ISIS. He was not a part of the Turkish community [in Holland], he was a recluse." https://t.co/RKnMxQB02Q
— Has Avrat (@hasavrat) March 18, 2019
From the BBC Turkey – google translate:
Dutch police: suspect in the attacks on trams in Utrecht-born 37-year-old Turkey Gökmen Meet
By: Yusuf Özkan, The Hague, Netherlands
An attacker opened fire in Utrecht, the Netherlands. Utrecht Mayor Jan van Zanen 3 people were killed, 9 people were injured. Van Zanen said three of the wounded were heavy.
Utrecht police, the suspect’s 37-year-old was born in Turkey has announced that it Gökmen meet. On Twitter, they were asked not to get close to Tanış and to see the security forces who saw him.
BBC Turkish speaking to a Turkish businessman living in Utrecht, Gokmen Tanis born on July 2, 1981 Yozgat was born and is registered in the population of Boğazlıyan Sırçalı Village, previously went to Chechnya and said he fought.
“A few years ago he was arrested and released for his connection to ISIS. He did not interfere with the Turkish society, it was a reclusive one.” said.
Rutte: An open terrorist act
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, “an open terrorist act,” he said in connection with the attack in Utrecht.
“Tolerant Dutch society attacked” indicating Rutte, “First of all focused on the capture of suspects or suspects,” he said.
Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg, Coordinator of the National Security and Counter-Terrorism of the Netherlands, said earlier that gunfire was heard at various points in Utrecht and had not given any details.
In Utrecht, police raided a house after the attack. It was not disclosed whether he had been taken into custody.
‘Seemed to aim at the people sitting in the seats’
The attack on the tram was organized at 10:45 am local time at the tram 24 October Square.
An eyewitness to the NRC newspaper, a man in the tram suddenly rose to his feet and “a big gun” began to shoot around, he said. Eyewitness told:
“It was like he was aiming at the people sitting in the seats. The conductor didn’t open the door immediately. The two young people with me kicked the window and I ran out of there. Many survived.”
Utrecht police said the possibility of a “terrorist attack” has been evaluated.
An escaped vehicle escaped the scene.
The police are looking for the attacker in the city.
24 October Square, anti-terrorism branch units as well as ambulances and three helicopters were sent.
The police asked the public to keep the roads around the square open.
In Utrecht, tram service was stopped for a while, and then schools were vacated and mosques were evacuated for security reasons.
Don’t travel to Utrecht, where the threat level is also raised to the highest level.
Dutch government created crisis desk
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was worried in Utrecht. The government has created a crisis desk.
In the capital, The Hague, extensive security measures were taken around the Parliament and the Prime Ministry building. Royal Special Troops patrol the city with automatic weapons.
Security measures have also been increased at airports in the Netherlands.
Geert Wilders, leader of the main opposition right-wing Freedom Party (PVV), announced in a statement from his Twitter account that “the news from Utrecht is terrible” and stopped the election campaign.
In the Netherlands, state elections will be held on Thursday.
Utrecht: The heart of the Netherlands
Utrecht, the fourth largest city in the Netherlands, is located in the middle of the country. The city, which is the intersection point of the roads and railways, is called the “heart of the Netherlands”.
Utrecht, which is part of the Ranstad region, considered the center of industry and urbanization with Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague, is also the capital of the province with the same name.
Utrecht, an important university and fair city, is also the headquarters of Catholic and Protestant churches in the Netherlands.
The city, which has a population of approximately 350 thousand people, has also been an area of attraction for immigrants for a period due to the surrounding industrial areas and extensive employment opportunities.
Approximately one third of the population of Utrecht is composed of immigrants.
Non-Western immigrants are of Moroccan origin. 24 percent of the immigrant population is of Moroccan origin. compared with 12 percent watching them immigrants from Turkey.
Ulu Mosque, one of the largest mosques in the Netherlands, is located in Utrecht.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.