News Ticker >
[ April 18, 2019 ]

Turkish Newspaper Celebrates Notre Dame Fire as Revenge For France’s Recognition of Armenian Genocide

[ April 18, 2019 ]

Two Muslims arrested for plotting to slaughter children at Jewish kindergarten in France

[ April 18, 2019 ]

Mueller report: Trump attempted to thwart anti-Israel resolution even before he became President

[ April 18, 2019 ]

“ALLAH AKBAR” Muslim convicted of terrorism at Michigan airport gets life, says he regretted not...

[ April 18, 2019 ]

WTH: California Judge Fines Jewish Rabbi Over $6,000 for Reporting Attack on Synagogue to Police

[ April 18, 2019 ]

Attorney General Barr: White House Offered Unfettered Access to Special Counsel Investigation, Did Not Obstruct...

[ April 18, 2019 ]

2 Jewish billionaires pledge $122 million toward restoring

[ April 18, 2019 ]

France: Statue of Virgin Mary Decapitated

[ April 18, 2019 ]

Rep. Tlaib: ‘I’m more Palestinian in the halls of Congress than I am anywhere …...

[ April 18, 2019 ]

Quebec: Muslim politician who said Notre Dame fire was “wrath of Allah” worked for Hamas-CAIR...

US judge recommends overturning California jihad terror conviction

26

US Attorney McGregor Scott is standing by the conviction: “It has consistently been our position that Mr. Hayat received effective representation at trial and that his conviction by a jury, subsequently affirmed by the Ninth Circuit, is completely valid.” This new claim, backed by Hamas-CAIR, that Hayat was a victim of a wave of “islamophobia” in the U.S. after 9/11, is ridiculous on its face. A week after 9/11, the President of the U.S. declared that Islam was a religion of peace. There never was a wave of “islamophobia” in the U.S. Could it be that Hayat’s conviction is being overturned because of false narratives about Muslim victimhood that CAIR and others have spread assiduously since 9/11?

“US judge recommends overturning California terror conviction,” Associated Press, January 11, 2019:

SACRAMENTO, CALIF. — A federal magistrate on Friday recommended overturning the controversial 2006 conviction of a California man accused of attending a terrorist training camp in Pakistan and plotting an attack in the United States.

Hamid Hayat, now 36, who was then a young cherry-picker from Lodi, has served about half his 24-year sentence.

But U.S. Magistrate Judge Deborah Barnes said he likely never would have been convicted were it not for the inexperience of his defense attorney, who failed to call alibi witnesses.

“A reasonably competent attorney would have done more to investigate Hayat’s alibi,” Barnes said in a 116-page opinion.

Her recommendation that the conviction be vacated now goes to U.S. District Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. He presided over Hayat’s original trial, conviction and sentencing and previously rejected a defense motion over whether Hayat was properly represented at trial. Either side can appeal Burrell’s eventual decision.

Barnes heard new testimony from witnesses who said Hayat, who was born in California, never had time to receive terror training while visiting relatives and getting married in his ancestral village in Pakistan. Barnes also found that Hayat’s defense attorney, Wazhma Mojaddidi, should have put on evidence from an expert on false confessions who could have countered prosecutors’ claim that Hayat confessed.

Mojaddidi, an immigration and family law attorney who was trying her first criminal case, said she “passionately represented Hamid Hayat as a young attorney and worked with a great team of lawyers and investigators in his defense.”

She said in a statement that she always has believed he is innocent and is elated by Barnes’ recommendation.

Prosecutors are reviewing the magistrate’s recommendation, U.S. Attorney McGregor Scott said.

“It has consistently been our position that Mr. Hayat received effective representation at trial and that his conviction by a jury, subsequently affirmed by the Ninth Circuit, is completely valid,” he said in a statement….

Investigators initially claimed five men were part of an al-Qaida “sleeper cell” in the agricultural community south of Sacramento. But federal prosecutors eventually deported three of the men without charges, while Hayat’s father, an ice cream truck driver, admitted only to a customs violation after a jury couldn’t decide whether he lied to federal agents about his son’s activities.

Only Hayat was convicted in 2006 of providing material support to terrorists and lying to FBI agents. Prosecutors alleged that he had a “jihadi heart” and plotted attacks on hospitals, banks, grocery stores and government buildings.

Critics have held the case out as an example of investigators’ and prosecutors’ overzealous approach to the Muslim community after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

“The prosecution took advantage of post-9/11 hysteria to convict him,” Basim Elkarra, executive director of the Sacramento Valley office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said in a statement.

The FBI paid an informant $230,000 over three years to infiltrate a Lodi mosque and record conversations with imams and worshippers after he improbably claimed to have seen several high-ranking al-Qaida officials there in the late 1990s. The informant encouraged Hayat to attend a training camp while he was in Pakistan.

His attorneys said Hayat’s eventual confession was coerced during a marathon FBI interrogation and that the terror training camp was closed during the time in 2003 and 2004 when prosecutors said Hayat was purportedly there for three to six months. He was arrested shortly after returning to the United States in 2005.

The Truth Must be Told

Your contribution supports independent journalism

Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.

Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.

Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.

Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.


Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.

Contribute Monthly - Choose One

Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email tips@thegellerreport.com

Pin It on Pinterest