Operator of New York limo company in deadly crash arrested, charged with criminally negligent homicide
The operator of the limousine company involved in Saturday’s deadly crash in upstate New York was arrested Wednesday and is expected to face charges of criminally negligent homicide.
The plot thickens.
[The son of the limo company owner at the center of the investigation was arrested.]
… Mr. Hussain’s improbable journey — from asylum-seeking immigrant to petty criminal to terror recruiter, prosecutors, has taken yet another turn. His complicated past is central to the investigation of the nation’s deadliest crash in years.
Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said the limo had failed inspections for problems with its brakes, suspension and chassis last month, and was being driven by a man lacking the proper license to operate a commercial vehicle. The car was also not certified to carry the 18 people riding in it when it crashed.“There is a ton of information that’s got to be processed — forensic information, witness statements and other materials,” a law enforcement official said of the investigation into the crash.
State Police have made clear that they would like to interview Mr. Hussain, 62.
Lee Kindlon, a lawyer for Mr. Hussain and Prestige, said he spoke on Tuesday with Mr. Hussain, who he said has been in Pakistan for some time dealing with health issues.
“He has indicated he is willing to come back if the investigation requires,” Mr. Kindlon said.
Citing the pending investigations, he declined further comment, saying, “I think it’s best right now to let the process take place.”
Shahed “Malik” Hussain, whose undercover work for the FBI has been controversial, testified over the course of several weeks during the ongoing trial of four Newburgh men standing trial for a terrorism plot. Hussain’s role in that sting operation came under fire recently from defense attorneys who, during their cross-examinations of the government’s star witness, pried at Hussain’s finances, conflicting statements, murky background and his previously unknown criminal history in Pakistan. The case is on schedule for closing arguments this week. Meanwhile, lawyers for two Albany men convicted in 2006 of money laundering in support of terrorism said they are closely examining whether Hussain’s testimony in the Newburgh case is in conflict with his testimony at the trial in Albany four years ago. They say the government never disclosed the fact Hussain had been arrested twice for murder in Pakistan. The government said they couldn’t confirm any details, but haven’t said what they actually knew in 2006.
Son of NY limo company owner in custody following deadly crash
ALBANY, N.Y. –The operator of a limousine company involved in a crash that killed 20 people was arrested Wednesday, state police said. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the charges were related to the deadly wreck.
FOX, October 10, 2018:
Nauman Hussain was taken into custody following a traffic stop on a highway near Albany, the New York State Police said in a brief news release.
No further details were released on the charges. A phone call to Hussain’s lawyer was not immediately returned.
Hussain was the day-to-day operator of Prestige Limousine, and the son of the company’s owner.
State police and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the cause of the crash, the nation’s deadliest transportation accident since an air crash outside Buffalo in February 2009 killed 50 people.
The limousine ran off the road Saturday at the bottom of a long hill in Schoharie, 25 miles west of Albany. The crash killed two pedestrians and all 18 people in the limo celebrating a woman’s birthday. The limo driver was among the dead.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email email@example.com
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.