U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis called out ABC for a story about America’s planned bombing of Iran as a piece of pure “fiction.”
Mattis was questioned by reporters about the notion, and in response, raised his eyebrows.
“I think it’s a complete — frankly, it’s — it’s fiction,” he said.
Once again, the media’s been caught in a lie.
More from News.com.au:
U.S. Defense Secretary General James Mattis has dismissed as “fiction” an Australian media report claiming American forces were prepared to bomb Iran’s nuclear facilities as early as next month.
A bewildered Mattis was quizzed by US reporters in Washington DC on Friday about the ABC report.
The “exclusive” report quoted unnamed senior Australian government figures and claimed Australian defence facilities would likely play a role in identifying targets in Iran.
“I have no idea where the Australian news people got that information,” Mattis told reporters.
“I’m confident it is not something that’s being considered right now, and I think it’s a complete — frankly, it’s — it’s fiction.
“It’s the best I can give you.”
Mr Mattis’ Friday press conference opened with a question about the Australian news report.
“Can you assure the American people that the US is not preparing military strikes against Iran?” the reporter asked.
The report came after Mattis and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Australian Defence Minister Marise Payne and Foreign Minister Julie Bishop earlier in the week in California for annual AUSMIN talks.
It also followed heated words exchanged on Twitter and in Iranian news reports between US President Donald Trump and Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani. Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull also said he had “no reason” to believe the ABC report was true.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.