The White House is reportedly mulling punitive action against “Palestinian” diplomats stationed in Washington, D.C., who’ve called for the International Criminal Court to investigate Israel for supposed war crimes.
A spokesperson for the National Security Council said the request may lead to the administration’s clamp-down on PLO operations in the District of Columbia.
President Donald Trump may be making a decision within the next 90 days on the matter.
From the Times of Israel:
Quick note: Tech giants are shutting us down. You know this. Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Adsense, Pinterest permanently banned us. Facebook, Google search et al have shadow-banned, suspended and deleted us from your news feeds. They are disappearing us. But we are here. We will not waver. We will not tire. We will not falter, and we will not fail. Freedom will prevail.
Subscribe to Geller Report newsletter here — it’s free and it’s critical NOW when informed decision making and opinion is essential to America's survival. Share our posts on your social channels and with your email contacts. Fight the great fight.
Remember, YOU make the work possible. If you can, please contribute to Geller Report.
The White House is considering action against Palestinian diplomats in Washington after Ramallah asked the International Criminal Court on Tuesday to investigate alleged Israeli crimes, The Times of Israel has learned.
According to a US law passed in December 2015, the Palestinian Authority is subject to penalties if it pursues the prosecution of Israelis at the Hague-based ICC. One of those ramifications includes the closing of their diplomatic mission to the United States, run by the Palestine Liberation Organization.
“We are reviewing this latest development to determine if it requires changes to the operating status of the PLO office in Washington, D.C., which has been limited to activities related to achieving a lasting, comprehensive peace between the Israelis and Palestinians since November 2017,” a National Security Council spokesperson said.
Last November, then US secretary of state Rex Tillerson refused to certify that the Palestinians were complying with that Congressional mandate, initiating intense speculation over whether the Palestinian facility in the capital’s Georgetown neighborhood would close.
The measure gives the sitting US president 90 days to consider whether the Palestinians are engaging in “direct and meaningful negotiations with Israel.”
If US President Donald Trump determines they are, the Palestinians can keep the office. If not, he has the right to shutter it.
The 90 days have since passed, and while direct the Israeli-Palestinian peace process remains moribund, the Palestinian embassy remains open.
The White House on Tuesday urged both sides to re-enter final-status peace talks and derided the ICC move as unhelpful to the ultimate goal of a negotiated settlement.
“The US continues to believe that direct negotiations between the two parties are the only way to achieve a comprehensive and lasting peace,” the NSC official said. “Involving the ICC does not get us closer to peace.”
In PA Foreign Minister Riyad al-Malki’s “referral” to the court during a meeting with the ICC’s chief prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, on Tuesday, he cited Israeli settlement policies along with the recent violence in Gaza as a basis for the investigation, calling it an important “test” of accountability for the ICC.
Israel has dismissed the potential prove as “cynical” and “absurd.” The US, meanwhile, has defended Israel’s military actions in the battered coastal enclave as necessary measures of self-defense.
Since Trump recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in December, the administration’s peace push hit a stalemate. PA President Mahmoud Abbas has refused to meet with Trump officials and has declared the US forfeited its capacity to act as an honest mediator to resolve the conflict.
Tensions hit a boiling point last week when the US inaugurated its Jerusalem embassy as the Hamas-orchestrated “March of Return” riots were unfolding in Gaza. Israeli forces killed more than 60 Palestinians in those clashes, according to the Hamas-run Gaza health ministry.
Abbas recalled the Palestinian envoy to Washington back to Ramallah last week in wake of the move. It’s not clear if Husam Zomlot has since returned.
Over the last six weeks, tens of thousands of Gazans, with the encouragement of the Hamas terror group that rules Gaza, have been undertaking weekly protests at the border fence with Israel. Some rioters have tried to damage and break the security fence and infiltrate Israel, while others have thrown fire bombs and rocks, and burned tires.
Hamas acknowledged that 50 of the 62 fatalities last week were members of the Islamist organization.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.