Web
Analytics

Saudi Arabia intercepts Iranian missiles over Riyadh

9

Further proof of Iran’s malevolent aspirations and the wisdom of President Trump’s refusal to nuclearize Iran.

Quick note: Tech giants are snuffing us out. You know this. Facebook, Twitter, Google et al have shadowbanned, suspended and in some cases deleted us from your news feeds. They are disappearing us. But we are here. Subscribe to Geller Report newsletter here— it’s free and it’s critical NOW more than ever.

Photo: An image grab taken from a video handed out by Yemen’s Huthi rebels on 27 March, 2018 shows what appears to be Huthi military forces launching a ballistic missile on March 25 reportedly from the capital Sanaa (AFP)

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels fired two ballistic missiles toward an oil facility in the Saudi border city of Jizan on Sunday.

Iran-aligned Houthis in Yemen fire missiles at Saudi capital

RIYADH/DUBAI (Reuters) – Yemen’s Houthis fired a salvo of ballistic missiles at Saudi Arabia’s capital on Wednesday – an attack Saudi authorities said they intercepted in the skies over Riyadh.

The assault took place a day after Saudi Arabia’s top Western ally the United States pulled out of a deal with Iran over its disputed nuclear programme and could signal an uptick in tensions between Riyadh and regional rival Tehran.

The Houthis said the missiles were launched at economic targets in Riyadh, the group’s al-Masirah TV reported. At least four blasts were heard in the city centre, but there were no immediate reports of casualties or damage.

The Houthis have fired a series of missiles into the kingdom in recent months, part of a three-year-old conflict in Yemen widely seen as a proxy battle between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

Colonel Turki al-Malki, spokesman for the U.S.-backed Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen, said in a statement that Saudi air defences had intercepted one missile, with another falling in an uninhabited desert south of the city.

A spokesman for the Houthi-aligned military Colonel Aziz Rashed told al-Masirah that the attack marked “a new phase” and was revenge for Saudi air strikes on Yemen after a coalition air strike last month killed the Houthis’ top civilian leader.

“There will be more salvos until this enemy is deterred, understands the meaning of the Yemeni threat and ceases its crimes,” Rashed said.

He did not mention U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision hours earlier to pull out of the international nuclear accord with Iran. But there are fears that the decision could exacerbate the conflict in Yemen and other regional flashpoints.

“HOSTILE ACTION”

Saudi Arabia and other U.S. allies queued up on Wednesday to praise Trump’s decision, as did Yemen’s internationally-recognised government, which has been forced into exile by Houthi advances.

The Yemeni government said the U.S. withdrawal was a necessary step to stop Iran’s “destabilising and dangerous” behaviour.

“The Iranian regime has exploited the benefits of the nuclear agreement to export violence and terrorism to its neighbours,” it said in a statement.

The Saudi-led military coalition intervened in Yemen’s civil war in 2015. Iran and the Houthis have regularly dismissed Saudi accusations that Tehran arms the group.

Saudi state media said separately that air defence forces had intercepted a missile launched at the southern city of Jizan, in an attack also claimed by the Houthis.

“This hostile action by the Houthi militia backed by Iran proves the continued involvement of the Iranian regime,” Malki was quoted as saying by state news agency SPA.

Saudi Civil Defence will test a warning siren in Riyadh and other provinces on Thursday. It has instructed citizens, upon hearing the alert, to seek shelter in secure locations and avoid “areas prone to air strikes and missile strikes”.

Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email tips@thegellerreport.com

The Truth Must be Told

Your contribution supports independent journalism

Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.

Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.

Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.

Please contribute here.

or

Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.

Pin It on Pinterest