Happy New Year, Muslim Brotherhood! You are not a terrorist organization, again, according to the U.S. Congress. That designation could be made by President Donald Trump, or Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, as explained below, but not so far! The bill, The Muslim Brotherhood Terrorism Designation Act, failed for two terms, 2015-16, and 2017-18.
Was there not any follow-up by the filers?
Representative Mario Diaz-Balart [R-FL]; and Senator Ted Cruz [R-TX].
But there were so many co-sponsors!
2015: (H.R.3892) The House had 69 Republicans and 2 Democrats, totaling 71, while
(S.2230) the Senate had 7 Republicans but no Democrats; and
2017: (H.R.377) The House had 75 Republicans but no Democrats, while
(S.68) the Senate had 4 Republicans but no Democrats.
Did the bills get out of committees?
2015: The House’s Judiciary Committee voted in favor (17-10) as amended, but
no action in Senate Judiciary’s Foreign Relations Committee; and worse,
2017: No action in Judiciary committees of both the House or Senate.
Were there substantive changes? The bill (2017) deleted the findings of facts from the bill (2015). Please read this partial list of the facts. Its long, but important:
(1) – (7) Multiple countries have declared the Society of the Muslim Brothers ( … “Muslim Brotherhood”) a terrorist organization or proscribed the group from operating in their countries: Syria; Russian Supreme Court; Egyptian court and government; Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; Cabinet of the United Arab Emirates; and the previous two backed by the Foreign Minister of Bahrain.
(8) – (9) The Muslim Brotherhood, which was founded in Egypt in 1928 by Hassan al-Banna, remains headquartered in Egypt but operates throughout the world. [Its] motto includes … : “Allah is our objective. The Prophet is our leader. The Qur’an is our law. Jihad is our way. Dying in the way of Allah is our highest hope. [Allah is greater!]”.
(10) – (12) In The Way of Jihad, Hassan al-Banna taught: “Jihad is an obligation from Allah on every Muslim … Jihad [means] the fighting of the unbelievers … [and] to impose [Islamic] law on nations and to extend its power to the entire planet”. Indeed, violent jihad is the legacy: the art of death. See, The Society of Muslim Brothers, by Richard P. Mitchell.
(17) The United States has previously designated global elements of the Muslim Brotherhood as foreign terrorist organizations, including –
(A) the terrorist group Hamas, which self-identifies as “one of the wings of the Muslim Brotherhood in Palestine,” which was designated a foreign terrorist organization by President William J. Clinton on January 23, 1995, by Executive Order 12947, and by Secretary of State Madeline Albright on October 7, 1997, under section 219(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1189(a)); and
(B) the Kuwaiti Muslim Brotherhood’s Lajinat al-Daawa al-Islamiya (“Islamic Call Committee”), which was designated a foreign terrorist organization by President George W. Bush on September 23, 2001, by Executive Order 13224 and by Secretary of State Colin Powell on January 9, 2003, under such section 219(a).
(27) In the Holy Land Foundation prosecutions – the largest terrorism financing trial in United States history – Department of Justice officials successfully argued in court that the international Muslim Brotherhood and its United States affiliates had engaged in a widespread conspiracy to raise money and materially support the terror group Hamas…
During the trial and in court documents, Federal prosecutors implicated a number of prominent United States-Islamic organizations in this conspiracy, including the Islamic Society of North America, the North American Islamic Trust, and the Council on American-Islamic Relations. These groups and their leaders, among others, were named as unindicted co-conspirators in the case…
[T]he International Muslim Brotherhood ordered the Muslim Brotherhood chapters throughout the world to create Palestine Committees, who supported HAMAS with ‘media, money, and men.’ The U.S.-Muslim Brotherhood created the U.S. Palestine Committee, which document reflect [sic] was initially comprised of 3 organizations: the Holy Land Foundation, the Islamic Association for Palestine, and the United Association for Studies and Research. CAIR was later added to these organizations.
From the book, Muslim Mafia [p. 44; WND Books (2009)], P. David Gaubatz wrote: “CAIR is first mentioned by name in Brotherhood documents as part of the July 30, 1994, agenda of the Palestine Committee. This is the smoking gun linking CAIR directly to the Hamas network inside America.”
The bill, in both versions, has Sec. 2: “Sense of Congress” – effectively conclusions:
(1) the Muslim Brotherhood meets criteria for designation as a foreign terrorist organization under section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1189); and
(2) the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of the Treasury, should exercise the Secretary of State’s statutory authority by designating the Muslim Brotherhood as a foreign terrorist organization.
If the above is true and accurate, then why wait to designate the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization? A few theories:
Theory #1: President Barack H. Obama and the Washington Establishment have been not just protectors of Muslims, but advocates in favor of Islam. During the 2008 Presidential campaign, Obama referred to his funny middle name, Hussein. A self-described Christian (but in practice of black liberation theology), Obama went out of his way to promote Islam. Google his speeches and policies. He continuously attacks Christianity, and elevates Islam. His administration refused to identify “radical islamic terrorism.” Acts of Jihad were simply “workplace violence” by the mentally disturbed.
“On January 28, 2008 … the Federal Bureau of Investigation released an official policy document titled the Counterterrorism Analytical Lexicon. Fourteen pages in length, it mentions “violent extremism” four times and “religious” three times, but never uses the words Muslim, Islam, or Jihad,” wrote Philip Haney in his book, See Something, Say Nothing. [p. 52; WND Books (2016)].
In a story, “The Muslim Brotherhood Comes to the White House,” by Jordan Schachtel on Breitbart.com [7 Feb. 2015]: The 14 Muslim “leaders” included the Islamic Society of North America [ISNA]; the Muslim Public Affairs Council [MPAC]; and the All Dulles Area Muslim Society [ADAMS].
Schachtel described an “October 2014 letter … , insisting that Sharia law should be an acceptable political system worldwide;” and reported co-signers: Azhar Azeez, ISNA’s President, and Mohamed Majid, Imam of ADAMS.
Theory #2: The U.S. Government has Muslim employees, and meets with lobbyists from Islamic organizations. Obama’s administration – the FBI, DOJ, and Homeland Security – essentially embraced CAIR and other Muslim groups to monitor the government’s policies and manuals, changing the jargon:
Haney wrote [Ibid; pgs. 52-53]: “On February 12, 2008, a colleague of mine with Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) forwarded me an email string that originated within the DHS Office of Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. It included a draft of a policy paper titled ‘Terminology to Define the Terrorists: Recommendations from American Muslims.’ The document, which soon became known simply as the ‘Words Matter’ memo, was being circulated for internal review among subject matter experts in the counterterrorism community.”
A call to action: Your homework assignment during the holidays. The Trump Administration has yet to designate the Muslim Brotherhood as a Terrorist Organization. Breitbart News describes the objections: U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson claims “The Brotherhood’s political parties have representatives in governments like those in Bahrain and Turkey … Tillerson also repeated the ‘non-violent’ and ‘moderate’ Muslim Brotherhood propaganda.” See, “Clarion: Tillerson Standing between Muslim Brotherhood and Terror Designation,” 28 July 2017, Breitbart.com.
You should write or call your representatives. Attached is a PDF of documents: This author’s letter, Aug. 9, 2017, to members of committees in the House and Senate; texts of The Muslim Brotherhood Terrorism Designation Act; and master listings of co-sponsors. Click here.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.