News Ticker >
[ September 15, 2019 ]

The UK Supreme Court will decide Johnson and Brexit’s fate

[ September 15, 2019 ]

WATCH: “Palestinian” father shoots gun off by newborn son’s head to prepare him for jihad

[ September 15, 2019 ]

Bernie’s Keynote Validates ISNA’s Sharia Totalitarian “Vision” For America

[ September 15, 2019 ]

New York: Hofsta University Student Describes HORRIFIC Antisemitic Experiences on Campus

[ September 15, 2019 ]

Israel Wants to Help Gazans Emigrate (Part 1)

[ September 15, 2019 ]

Couple Imprisoned in Iran While Trying to Dispel Its “Bad Rap” Are the Latest Victims...

[ September 14, 2019 ]

Saturday Night Cinema: Town Without Pity

[ September 14, 2019 ]

WATCH: Horrifying Attack Unfolds On Man By Somali Mob In Ilhan Omar’s District

[ September 14, 2019 ]

Alabama Muslima pleads guilty to charge she tried to get money to Islamic terror group

[ September 14, 2019 ]

Saudi Arabia Shuts Down Half Its Oil Output After Iran Attacks With Drones

Australia terror law changes: Now children as young as 14 could be held for questioning without charge, because of fears of an imminent threat

32

More of the joys that Muslim immigration brings. And apparently Der Führer Merkel can’t get enough.

“Under the law changes announced this morning, the use of Preventative Detention Orders — when a person is detained without charge, because of fears of an imminent threat — will be extended to 14-year-olds, down from the age of 16.”

Victoria plans terror law changes as Melbourne’s CBD gets permanent bollards and planters

As if jihadis only target pedestrian footpaths. No war was ever won on the defense.

Children as young as 14 could be held for questioning by Victorian police under proposed law changes, as the Victorian Government responds to a review of the state’s counter-terrorism measures.

ABC News, November 19, 2017 (thanks to Jill):

The Victorian Government has also revealed new permanent security features are being built in Melbourne’s CBD to prevent terrorist attacks, as part of a $10 million CBD upgrade.

Under the law changes announced this morning, the use of Preventative Detention Orders — when a person is detained without charge, because of fears of an imminent threat — will be extended to 14-year-olds, down from the age of 16.

Suspects under 16 will be able to be held for 36 hours before police are required to apply for an order from the Supreme Court to detain them further.

Under changes announced earlier in the year, adults will be able to be held for up to four days.

Premier Daniel Andrews used the case of radicalised teenager Farhad Mohammad, who shot and killed NSW police accountant Curtis Cheng, to demonstrate why the laws were necessary.

“These are very real issues,” Mr Andrews said.

“We have seen … people as young as 14 posing a significant risk to community safety.

“It would be a terrible failure if to protect the notional civil liberties of a very small number of people we put at risk the safety of a much larger group of people. Indeed, potentially tens of thousands of people.”

Seven police officers stand in front of apartments in Brighton the morning after a siege. The changes were recommended by former police chief Ken Lay and former Supreme Court justice David Harper, who reviewed Victoria’s counter-terrorism laws after a deadly siege in Brighton earlier this year.

It was the second report from the pair and included 26 recommendations in total. The Andrews Government said it accepted all 26 in principle.

Other recommendations include:

  • Enabling the Police Commissioner to apply for court orders to force people to take part in “disengagement programs” if they display radical or violent behaviour
  • Talking to the Commonwealth and other states about removing motive as an essential element of the definition of a terrorist act
  • Working with federal authorities to introduce a new offence for possession of terrorism-related material
  • Seeking agreement with other states for a national post-sentence supervision scheme for high-risk offenders

The first report, released in September, recommended police be given stronger shoot-to-kill protections.

Mr Lay said the second report also looked at dealing with left and right-wing extremism.

“As we all understand, there’s been a real focus on Islamic extremism in recent times, but the [review] panel saw a gap in the right and left-wing space,” he said.

“To properly protect the community and understand the risks, research needs to be done in that space.”

Mr Lay said more work was needed to understand the effects Islamophobia has had on the Muslim community.

Police powers will ‘undermine’ deradicalisation efforts

Barrister Rob Stary, who has represented many terrorism suspects, said the State Government had failed to demonstrate how the laws would prevent terrorism.

“I’ve been working for almost 40 years and I can’t think of a single instance where preventative detention of 14-year-old child is appropriate,” he said.

“The State Government is essentially a populist law and order government, I’m sorry to say.”

Criminologist Clarke Jones from Australian National University, who works with at-risk children in conservative Muslim communities, backed Mr Stary’s concerns.

“The greater the exposure to the criminal justice system the greater likelihood of reoffending,” he said.

Dr Jones said the new police powers would undermine efforts to work with community groups to counter violent extremism.

“In one sense you have these preventative community outreach strategies and then you’ve got policies where you want to detain them and lock them up.

“They sort of work against each other.”

The Truth Must be Told

Your contribution supports independent journalism

Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.

Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.

Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.

Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.


Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.

Contribute Monthly - Choose One

Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email tips@thegellerreport.com

Pin It on Pinterest