Yet my account was recently terminated because of a 2014 video entitled, “Al Qaeda and Islamic State flags in London’s tunnels.” The video shows jihadis displaying al Qaeda and Islamic state flags on one of London’s tunnels (see this). So telling the truth gets your account terminated at YouTube, but Anwar al-Awlaki’s calls for killing the kuffar are just fine.
You fought back and won and my YouTube account was reinstated. But I am still concerned about others who are suspended and don’t have a large social media presence to deploy. We must consider anti-trust laws or legislation to penalize social media giants who suppress our unalienable rights.
“YouTube accused of labelling terror preacher Anwar al-Awlaki’s calls for violent jihad as ‘inappropriate’ content – but failing to ban up to 70,000 of his videos,” by Jasper Hamill, The Sun, September 29, 2017:
Quick note: Tech giants are shutting us down. You know this. Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Adsense, Pinterest permanently banned us. Facebook, Google search et al have shadow-banned, suspended and deleted us from your news feeds. They are disappearing us. But we are here. We will not waver. We will not tire. We will not falter, and we will not fail. Freedom will prevail.
Subscribe to Geller Report newsletter here — it’s free and it’s critical NOW when informed decision making and opinion is essential to America's survival. Share our posts on your social channels and with your email contacts. Fight the great fight.
Remember, YOU make the work possible. If you can, please contribute to Geller Report.
YOUTUBE has been accused of labelling videos of an infamous terror preacher’s calls for violent jihad “inappropriate” and leaving them available for viewing rather than banning them altogether.
The Counter Extremism Project (CEP), a non-profit dedicated to tackling extremism, alleged that it has found more than 70,000 videos of Anwar al-Awlaki, a dead radical imam whose sermons are said to have inspired atrocities including the 7/7 bombings, the Charlie Hebdo attacks and the Orlando Pulse nightclub massacre.
Jean-Charles Brisard, chairman of the Center for the Analysis of Terrorism, said: “YouTube is a prime example of how internet companies are inconsistently responding to terrorist propaganda online.
“These companies need to take more transparent, coherent and vigorous actions if we are to reduce the spread of this terrorist content.”
YouTube recently introduced a new policy known internally as “tougher treatment” which is designed to reduce the audience for videos deemed to be “inappropriate or offensive to some audiences”.
The Google-owned video site is now putting videos into a “limited state” if they are deemed controversial enough to be considered objectionable, but not hateful, pornographic or violent enough to be banned altogether.
Videos which are put into a limited state cannot be embedded on other websites, easily published on social media using the usual share buttons and other users cannot comment on them – but they can still be watched.
But the CEP’s research suggests al-Awlaki has been subjected to “tougher treatment” rather than being banned.
It said one particularly vitriolic speech called the “Battle of Hearts and Minds” could still be seem om YouTube and had been labelled “inappropriate or offensive to some viewers”.
The CEP said Al Qaeda and ISIS have used the video “to rally supporters and lionize terrorists”.
It claimed that Awlaki’s “content remains consistently and readily available on YouTube” and alleged that it found 70,000 results when it searched YouTube for “Anwar al-Awlaki” just one month ago – up from 61,900 when it did the same on December 19 2015.
The non-profit also alleged that YouTube’s recommendations “nudged” users towards Awlaki’s “incendiary and egregious content”….
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.