Hezbollah and the Lebanese Army called for a cease-fire with ISIS on the heels of a joint campaign to rout out the terror group from border locations, Hezbollah-controlled television reported.
Hezbollah also said ISIS had surrendered some land, and turned over the bodies of two men. But conflicting reports abounded.
The Lebanese Army said the truce was temporary and aimed at allowing both sides to recover bodies of fighters.
The New York Times reported:
Hezbollah, however, said that fighters from the Islamic State, which is also known as ISIS or ISIL, had surrendered, had turned over the bodies of two Hezbollah combatants and had agreed to help determine what had happened to a number of missing Lebanese Army soldiers.
The Lebanese intelligence chief, Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim, said Sunday that the authorities were awaiting DNA identification for six bodies recovered from the area.
“It has not been confirmed yet that these remains belong to the military soldiers, although we are almost certain they are” the missing, General Ibrahim said, according to the official National News Agency. …
In a speech on Thursday meanwhile, the Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah had said that ISIS had been defeated, but that the authorities were still negotiating to find out the fate of the missing soldiers.
“The remaining ISIS terrorists are completely confused and seek an escape or any settlement to exit the area whiehc they have occupied after being besieged,” he said in a statement reported by the Syrian Arab News Agency.
A week ago, the Lebanese Army, operating on its side of the frontier, along with the Syrian Army and allied Hezbollah militias fighting on Syrian territory, began a simultaneous offensive against the Islamic State in the border area, although neither side acknowledged that they were acting in concert.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email email@example.com
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.