This is how a continent commits suicide. The EU has to be dismantled, or at very least these kinds of laws scrubbed from the books, if Europe is going to have any hope of survival.
“EU Laws Prevented Spain Deporting Barcelona Terror Mastermind”, by Tom Worden, Express, August 27, 2017:
The Spanish government tried to throw Abdelbaki Es Satty, 42, out of the country in 2014 after he served a sentence for drug smuggling.
But a judge said two EU directives gave Es Satty the right to stay in the country – because he did not pose a “serious threat”.
After the failed attempt to deport him, Es Satty went on to brainwash members of the cell who carried out two terror attacks in Barcelona and nearby Cambrils earlier this month.
Today a 51-year-old German woman who had been in a critical condition in intensive care since being mowed down on Las Ramblas died in hospital. Her death brought the number murdered by the cell to 16. More than 100 more were injured when a van ploughed into pedestrians on the famous boulevard on August 17.
A written judgment reveals judge Pablo de la Rubia blocked Es Satty’s deportation because of EU laws.
The judge highlighted two EU Council Directives – numbers 2003/109/EC and 2001/40/EC – which prevented the Madrid government from booting him out.
The EU directives say member states can only deport non-EU nationals who pose a “serious and present threat to public order or national security and safety”.
The judge ruled Es Satty was not a threat – because he had only been convicted of one offence and because he was making attempts to “integrate” into Spanish society.
Es Satty was arrested in January 2010 on a ferry to Spain from north Africa, with 121 kilos of cannabis resin worth POUNDS 162,000 packed into a van.
He was jailed for four years and a month and served two thirds of his sentence in a prison in Castellon, north east Spain. It is believed he became radicalised while behind bars.
When he was released in 2014 the Spanish government issued a deportation order, expelling him from the country for five years.
Spanish law permits the government to deport foreign criminals who have been jailed for a year or more once they have served their sentence.
Senior government official David Barelles wrote on the order that Es Satty posed “a real threat which is sufficiently serious to justify his expulsion”.
But Es Satty appealed – insisting he had a right to stay in Spain despite his conviction.
His won his case at the Contentious-Administrative Court Number 2 in Castellon in April 2015.
Citing the two EU directives, judge De la Rubia wrote: “Although the conduct of the accused is serious, there is only one offence, which is old, and it is claimed he has laid down employment roots in Spain, which demonstrate his efforts at integration into Spanish society.”
The judge added that it would be “disproportionate” to deport the Moroccan.
After leaving prison, Es Satty became the Iman of the mosque in Ripoll, a small town in the foothills of the Pyrenees, 65 miles north of Barcelona.
He radicalised local youths, mostly Moroccan immigrants aged 17 to 34, and is thought to have been the leader of the 12-man cell who brought mayhem to the region last month.
The gang plotted a terrorist ‘spectacular’ using vans packed with bombs made from butane-gas bottles and the explosive TATP – nicknamed the Mother of Satan.
They planned to blow up targets including the famous Sagrada Familia basilica…..
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.