ISIS in Afghanistan isn’t doing so well.
The U.S. military said it had taken out about 80 percent of ISIS terrorists in one fell bomb swoop this week.
This is the largest bomb that can be used, outside of a nuclear bomb. And it’s never before been used in combat.
Specifically, military officials estimated only about 600 jihadists remained in Afghanistan, post-bombing.
“‘As ISIS-K’s losses have mounted, they are using [improvised bombs], bunkers and tunnels to thicken their defense,’ said Army Gen. John W. Nicholson, top commander of U.S. and NATO forces, after the U.S. strike on the jihadist group in Afghanistan.’This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against ISIS-K.’
“‘The Pentagon confirmed that the U.S. military dropped the “mother of all bombs,’ officially known as the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast, on an Islamic State tunnel complex in Achin district, located in eastern Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province, marking the first time the massive 21,600-pound bomb was used in battle.
“U.S. military officials have identified eastern Afghanistan’s opium-rich Nangarhar province, located along the country’s border with Pakistan, as the group’s primary stronghold in the region.”
ISIS took over that area about a month after Obama and NATO announced the end of combat missions in Afghanistan. At its peak, about 3,000 ISIS terrorists stayed in tha region.
Again, from Breitbart:
“Last October, Gen. John Nicholson, the top commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, warned that ISIS was intent on establishing a caliphate in the Afghanistan region.
“‘Right now we see them very focused on trying to establish their caliphate, the Khorasan caliphate, inside Afghanistan,’ Gen. Nicholson told NBC News.
Most of the ISIS-K jihadists are former members of Pakistani Taliban, or Tehrik-e Taliban, and its Afghan counterpart, according to the Pentagon.
“‘Our goal in 2017 is to defeat ISIS-K in Afghanistan,’ American Navy Capt. Bill Salvin, a top spokesman for the U.S./NATO-led coalition in Kabul, told Voice of American at the end of last month.
“‘In 2016, we believed that year began with about 3,000 or so ISIS-K members in about 12 districts in southern Nangarhar,’ added the captain. ‘Right now, we believe there are about 600 ISIS-K members in two or three districts in southern Nangarhar.’
“The Trump administration has taken steps to combat ISIS-K that appear to be paying off.
“President Trump has granted military commanders, including Gen. Nicholson, ‘broader latitude to act independently,’ notes CNN.
“Without explicitly saying whether he personally approved Thursday’s strike on ISIS in Afghanistan, Trump declared, ‘Everybody knows exactly what happens. So, what I do is I authorize our military.'”
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.