“D.C. police locate a “suspicious person” at Catholic University,” By Martin Weil, Washington Post, December 8, 2015 (thanks to Patrick):
Catholic University students were advised Tuesday night for the second time in less than 24 hours to shelter in place while authorities investigated a report of a possible armed suspect on campus.
Just before 9 p.m., the D.C. police said they had “located the suspicious person.”
About an hour later, the university said it had lifted the shelter in place order. It also said that the person who had prompted Tuesday night’s order was not the same person who had been sought during the alert that began early Tuesday.
The university’s Tuesday night alert was sent about 8:30 p.m. and advised members of the university community to shelter in place while D.C. police and the university’s public safety department investigated the report. of a possible suspect.
A strikingly similar alert was issued about 1 a.m. Tuesday morning. Authorities said they searched, but nothing was found.The university said the Monday night/Tuesday morning search was initiated after a custodial worker reported being approached by a man with a weapon.
The man reportedly approached the worker at Panborn Hall about 10:30 p..m. Monday, and asked directions to the administration building.
In a message posted Tuesday on the university’s Facebook site, the university’s president, John Garvey, offered an explanation of the overnight response. He said the suspect had “made claims that sounded to our custodian like terroristic threats.”
A description provided on a university social media site had said the individual had a Middle Eastern appearance.
The alerts heightened tensions on a campus where students are preparing for finals. They came at a time of increased concern in this country and around the world about terrorist attacks and mass shootings.Comments posted on the university’s Facebook site indicated a variety of responses, including fear, calls for prayer and suggestions that finals be canceled and students be sent home.
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute to our ground-breaking work here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.