Of course we have to get this from the British papers. American media covered this same interview with the Saudi national's roommate, but left out what would be the most important piece of evidence if the Saudi national proves to be connected to the terror bombing in Boston.
"He's a quiet, devout Muslim – he couldn't do that': Neighbors' shock
as police raid Boston home linked to burned Saudi student seized near
race finish line Daily Mail, April 16, 2013
- Bomb squad among 20 bags of evidence removed
- Saudi suspect, 20, under guard in hospital after 'acting suspiciously' in area
- Police also hunting dark skinned man with hooded dark-colored sweatshirt and backpack seen trying to get into restricted area
- Speculation mounts over who could be behind the attack that left three dead
- Fingers point towards either Islamic militants or right-wing extremists who chose to attack on symbolic Patriot's Day
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel called bombings 'cruel act of terror'
- One of the bombs had been placed in a metal pressure cooker and was designed to look like a discarded item, police sources say
the Saudi student who was detained for 'acting suspiciously' at the
marathon finish line said they were shocked to hear he had any
involvement in the bombing as he is a 'quiet, devout Muslim who is a
huge soccer fan'.
and bomb disposal officers raided his apartment last night in the
Revere area of Boston and could be seen removing several bags of
evidence, though he has not been charged with anything.
20-year-old, who is studying English, is in hospital after suffering
from serious burns and is said to be cooperating fully with police. He was tackled to the ground by a civilian who believed he was acting suspiciously.
CBS, citing police sources,
reported that one of the bombs had been placed in a metal pressure
cooker and was designed to look like a discarded item. Many of the
wounded were hit by discarded ball bearings.
Scroll down for video
'Crude bombs': Both of the bombs were small,
likely homemade devices and initial tests showed no C-4 or other
high-grade explosive material
Police and federal officials exit an apartment
complex at 364 Ocean Avenue with a possible connection to the earlier
explosions that occurred during the Boston Marathon on Monday
364 Ocean Ave in Revere – which police and
Federal investigators searched this evening after they identified a
'Saudi national' who was detained at the scene
Pictured: Images of a man in cuffs were posted
online but police were keen to underline there had been no arrests.
Officers said they were speaking to several people as would be expected
in any major incident
Saudi student – who has not been named – said he had been at dinner
with friends the night before and was at the marathon simply because he
'wanted to see the end of the race'.
of his two flat mates, who would only give his name as Mohamed
Badawood, told the MailOnline: 'He is a sweet kid, a kind person. He
would not do this or hurt anyone.'
He described him as a devout Muslim and a soccer fan who is from the city of Medina in Saudi Arabia.
He is attending an English language school in greater Boston, the roommate said, adding that he last saw him on Sunday.
roommate said: 'I know he went to the marathon yesterday but I don’t
know what happened because I had gone out elsewhere to get drunk.
I came home the police were at our apartment. They asked lots of
questions. Then the FBI and other officers came. They took some clothes
away and searched everything.
roommate is a student, he has been living here for five months. I am
not telling you his name because it is not fair to him.'
It is not clear if agents found anything in the raid, but Revere fire officials said they were
called out to support bomb-squad officers as part of the investigation of the 'person of interest'.
residents in the smart 13-storey complex said three young men lived in
a fifth floor apartment. Several believed he had Anglicized his Saudi
name to Jason.
are a lot of rumors floating about. This is a building that has been
packed with people from the Middle East in recent years – it is a very
popular area with Saudi students,' said Gita Lopez, who lives in one of
the adjoining six blocks in the complex that is known as Water’s Edge.
at the building’s leasing office refused to comment on the suspect or
his friends. But one said: 'We are co-operating fully with the police.'
President Obama once again addressed the nation about the bombs, which
killed three and left more than 170 injured, and confirmed it was an
'act of terror'.
He admitted they did not know who was behind it or why, if it was an international or domestic organization, or perhaps a 'malevolent individual'.
He lauded the response of the runners, spectators and first responders in the wake of the attack.
you want to know who we are, what America is, how we respond to evil,
that is it: selflessly, compassionately, unafraid,' he said.
said investigators 'don’t have a sense of motivation yet' as they begin
to evaluate the attack but despite the atrocity of it, he declared:
'The American people refuse to be terrorized.'
DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the FBI's Boston Division,
said: 'We will go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or
subjects who are responsible for this despicable crime — and we will do
everything we can to bring them to justice.
mission is clear: to bring to justice those responsible…The American
public wants answers. The citizens of the city of Boston and the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts want and deserve answers.'
He said investigators had received 'voluminous tips' and were interviewing witnesses and analyzing the crime scene.
Deval Patrick said that contrary to earlier reports, no unexploded
bombs were found. He said the only explosives were the ones that went
At Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital, investigators
seized the Saudi student's clothes to examine whether they held any evidence that
he was behind the attack, which is being called the worst terrorist
attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.
Aftermath: Smoke billows over the finish line after the first bomb was detonated, inflicting tragedy and panic at the race
Massachusetts General Hospital, where 22 victims
of the bomb blast are being treated, was locked down for two hours
after a suspicious package was reported in the parking garage across the
Evacuation: Police were desperately trying to evacuate the area following the explosions
Police investigators leave an apartment complex in Revere, Massachusetts, USA, 16 April 2013
Investigators were seen leaving the scene with brown paper evidence bags, trash bags and a duffel bag
Law sources told
the New York Post that after the man was grabbed by police, he smelled
of gun powder and said, 'I thought there would be a second bomb' before
asking, 'Did anyone die?'
The Saudi man was tackled by a bystander by the scene who thought he was acting suspiciously.
Investigators were seen leaving the scene with brown paper evidence bags, trash bags and a duffel bag.
law enforcement source told CBS: 'They see him running away from the
device. Now, a reasonable person would be running away. But this person
had noticed him before. This is a civilian — chases him down, tackles
him, turns him over to the Boston police.
individual is being looked at [and] was suffering from burn injury.
That means this person was pretty close to wherever this blast went off,
but not so close as to suffer the serious injuries that other people
many patients were treated for minor cuts and scrapes, doctors have
also been 'pulling ball bearings and projectiles out of people in the
It was reported today that the bombs were in pressure cookers inside black duffel bags and were designed to propel
shrapnel and shards of metal.
Pete King, a Long Island republican who chairs the house
counterterrorism subcommittee told ABC news that the bombings had 'all
the trademarks of an al Qaeda attack'.
secretary Chuck Hagel today called the bombings a 'cruel act of terror'
and said it will be 'approached as an act of terror'.
Police had said
earlier on Monday that they were searching for a 'dark-skinned or black
male' wearing a dark-colored hooded sweatshirt and a backpack in
connection with the twin explosions.
A TIMELINE OF TERROR ON US SOIL: A HISTORY OF HOMELAND SECURITY
September 16, New York City: Thirty
five people are killed and hundreds injured after a TNT bomb planted in
an unattended horse-drawn wagon explodes on Wall Street. Bolshevist or
anarchist terrorists were blamed but nobody was ever convicted.
January 24, New York City: A
blast tears through the historic Fraunces Tavern killing four and
injuring more than 50. Puerto Rican nationalist group (FALN) later
December 21, Lockerbie, Scotland:
A New York-bound Pan-Am Boeing 747 is blown out of the sky and crashes
on the Scottish village. All 259 aboard are killed and 11 on the ground.
Passengers included 35 Syracuse University students and many U.S.
military personnel. Libya formally admitted responsibility 15 years
later and offered $2.7 billion compensation to victims' families.
Febuary 26, New York City:
A bomb exploded in basement garage of World Trade Center, killing 6 and
injuring at least 1,040 others. In 1995, militant Islamist Sheik Omar
Abdel Rahman and 9 others were convicted of conspiracy charges, and in
1998, Ramzi Yousef, believed to have been the mastermind, was convicted
of the bombing. Al-Qaeda involvement is suspected.
April 19, Oklahoma City: A
car bomb explodes outside a federal office building killing 168 people,
including 19 children. Over 220 buildings sustained damage. Timothy
McVeigh and Terry Nichols were later convicted in the anti-government
plot to avenge the Branch Davidian standoff in Waco, Texas., exactly two
September 11, New York City, Arlington, Virginia, and Shanksville, Pennsylvania: Hijackers
crash two commercial jets into the twin towers of the World Trade
Center (pictured); Within hours, two more jets were crashed into the
Pentagon and a field in rural Pennsylvania. Total dead and missing
numbered 2,992, including 19 hijackers. Al-Qaeda, led by Osama bin
Laden claim responsibility.
June 1, Little Rock, Arkansas:
Abdulhakim Muhammed, a Muslim convert from Memphis, Tennessee, shoots
dead one soldier and wounds anotheroutside a military recruitment
centre. He later claimed ties to al-Qaeda, calling the shooting a jihadi
December 25: Nigerian
'pants bomber' Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab fails to detonate a bomb
secreted in his underwear on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit. He
claimed links to al Qaeda.
May 10, Jacksonville, Florida: A pipe bomb explodes while approximately 60 Muslims are praying in the mosque. Nobody is injured.
Two packages of explosives are found on separate cargo planes bound
from Yemen to the United States. Each was discovered en route at
stop-overs in England and Dubai.
Five minutes before
the first explosion, officials said the hooded man attempted to gain entry to a restricted area but was turned away.
Authorities say he may be a foreign national, based on his accent.
suggested one line of inquiry was an individual caught on camera before the attack carrying
multiple backpacks into the area 20 minutes before the deadly blasts.
of a man in handcuffs surrounded by law enforcement officials
circulated Twitter on Monday evening. But authorities didn't identify the man or
say whether his arrest was related to the blasts or if it was the 'Saudi national'.
'At this time, we haven't been notified of any arrests or anyone
apprehended,' a police spokesperson said.
came as police were believed to be looking at whether bombs were
planted in trashcans along the route.
One of the runners said there were a number of bomb-sniffing dogs at the start and finish line, which he thought was odd.
University of Mobile’s Cross Country Coach Ali Stevenson told Local 15: 'They kept making announcements to the participants do not worry, it's just a training exercise.'
said the presence of law enforcement spotters on the roof at the start
of the race also made the seasoned marathoner suspect police must have
had some threat or suspicion called in.
But government officials deny this and say there were no warnings of any kind.
had just finished the marathon before the explosions. His wife had been
sitting in one of the seating sections where an explosion went off, but
she had left her seat and was walking to meet up with him.
At Massachusetts General Hospital,
Alasdair Conn, chief of emergency services, said: 'This is something
I've never seen in my 25 years here … this amount of carnage in the
civilian population. This is what we expect from war.'
police scurried to find leads that would lead them to the culprits,
speculation grew that it looked more like a right-wing terrorist attack
rather than al Qaeda-inspired extremism.
Richard Barrett, the former United Nations co-ordinator for the al Qaeda and Taliban monitoring team, said the timing of the attack on Patriots'
Day and the relatively small size of the devices suggested the work of a
But Mr Barrett, who has served with MI5, MI6 and the Foreign Office, said: 'This happened on Patriots' Day, it is also the day Americans
are supposed to have their taxes in, and Boston is quite a symbolic
city. These are all little indicators.'
He added that it was still too early to confidently say who was to blame.
comments came after U.S. supercop Bill Bratton, a former head of Boston
police who is now based in London, warned there are 'no shortage of
potential suspects' behind the explosions.
expert Rick Nelson, of the Center for Strategic & International
Studies, said the number of co-ordinated blasts suggested a 'complexity'
that would be difficult for an individual to carry out alone.
'It was perhaps not
one person but a group who were involved,' he said. 'The location
suggests they were looking for maximum media value so that the
explosions were caught by television cameras.'
The two blasts on Monday went off almost concurrently
near the finish line of the marathon.
Police initially said a third blast occurred at
the John F.Kennedy Presidential Library but later reported it as an unrelated fire.
phone service was shut down across the area to prevent any potential
remote detonations as police feared there were secondary devices.
Police were in a desperate race against time to find
any additional devices and said the task had been complicated by the items discarded by spectators fleeing the scene.
were flooding in in the moments after the attack, saying there were
devices reported outside Harvard and other sites along the marathon
route. But today it was confirmed that there were only two devices.
General Hospital, where 22 victims of the bomb blast are being treated,
was forced into lock-down for about two hours after a suspicious package
was reported in the parking garage across the street.
Bomb sniffing dogs
from the Rhode Island State Police, SWAT officers from the Boston police
department and bomb squad officers searched the entire parking
Authorities found one bag, but determined it was not a threat and contained nothing suspicious.
the investigation continued into Monday night, all off-duty officers in
the city were called back on duty and dog units were sent in to help
the emergency response.
The scene of the blasts will remain cordoned off for at least 24 hours as forensic work continues.
Police were pleading
with onlookers to head home over fears the dangers remained in the downtown area of the city.
NBC reported that the devices which caused the blasts were ‘small
homemade bombs’ as the FBI referred it as a ‘terrorist attack’.
Police departments across the country including San
Francisco and New York have been put on heightened alert.
a plane was brought back to the gate at Logan airport after two
passengers on board were speaking Arabic and people grew concerned.
Controlled explosions: Officers were said to be carrying out controlled explosions on three secondary device
In London security will now be assessed ahead of the
marathon being held there on Sunday.
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.