If this doesn't sink Obama ….America is sunk.
Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, in a diplomatic cable from Libya last June, cited the apparent rise of “Islamic extremism” and the spotting of “the Al Qaeda
flag” over buildings outside the city of Benghazi, where he and three
other Americans were ultimately killed in an attack on Sept. 11.
The previously classified cable is among 166 pages of documents made public Friday by Rep. Darryl E. Issa, the Republican chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, who says they expose an egregious shortage of security around the U.S. diplomatic missions in Libya during the period leading up to last month’s attack.
Mr. Issa sent the documents to the White House
Friday with a letter calling on the administration to explain why
“repeated warnings about a worsening security situation appear to have
been ignored” in Libya. The committee’s top Democrat, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings
of Maryland, described the move as an “undeniably partisan” attempt
to politicize the incident ahead of Monday’s foreign policy debate
between Mitt Romney and President Obama.
The documents include a June 25 cable in which Mr. Stevens cited an uptick in attacks occurring in Libya “targeting international organizations and foreign interests.” He went on to point out a June attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, which involved the explosion of an improvised bomb.
has previously been reported about the incident, which occurred just
three months before the attack that ultimately lead to Mr. Stevens‘ death. In the cable, he said responsibility for June’s attack had been claimed by “an Islamic extremist group, ‘the Imprisoned Sheikh Omar Abdul-Rahman Brigade.’ “
infamous “Blind Sheikh,” Abdel-Rahman is presently serving a life
sentence in the United States, convicted of plots to blow up the United Nations headquarters along with major bridges and tunnels in New York.
Mr. Stevens made no reference of any American attempt to investigate the June incident.
security officials purport to have launched investigations,” he wrote,
adding that a Libyan security official had “shared his private opinion
that the attacks were the work of extremists who are opposed to western
influence in Libya.”
“A number of local contacts agreed, noting that Islamic extremism appears to be on the rise in eastern Libya and that the Al Qaeda
flag has been spotted several times flying over government buildings
and training facilities” in a small Libyan city about 100 miles east of
Benghazi, Mr. Stevens
wrote. He added, however, that other contacts said the June attack
could also have simply been the work of loyalists to ousted Libyan
leader Moammar Gadhafi.
Other cables cite ongoing concerns about security. In one on Aug. 8, under the title “The Guns of August: Security in eastern Libya,” Mr. Stevens asserted that the “absence of significant deterrence” had “contributed to a security vacuum.”
In another, on Sept. 11, just hours before he was killed, Mr. Stevens
noted a local Libyan commander in Benghazi had “expressed growing
frustration with police and security forces (who were too weak to keep
the country secure) …”
Other documents shed light on ongoing exchanges between State Department personnel over security.
from February 2012 features an email in which Foreign Service Officer
Shawn P. Crowley wrote to others, including Eric A. Nordstrom, the
then-chief security officer at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, about the
“lack of security” at the consulate in Benghazi.
for being a broken record, but beginning tomorrow, Benghazi will be
down two agents,” Mr. Crowley wrote, noting that “we have no drivers and
new local guard contract employees have no experience driving armored
Have a tip we should know? Your anonymity is NEVER compromised. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Truth Must be Told
Your contribution supports independent journalism
Please take a moment to consider this. Now, more than ever, people are reading Geller Report for news they won't get anywhere else. But advertising revenues have all but disappeared. Google Adsense is the online advertising monopoly and they have banned us. Social media giants like Facebook and Twitter have blocked and shadow-banned our accounts. But we won't put up a paywall. Because never has the free world needed independent journalism more.
Everyone who reads our reporting knows the Geller Report covers the news the media won't. We cannot do our ground-breaking report without your support. We must continue to report on the global jihad and the left's war on freedom. Our readers’ contributions make that possible.
Geller Report's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our work is critical in the fight for freedom and because it is your fight, too.
Please contribute here.
Make a monthly commitment to support The Geller Report – choose the option that suits you best.